- HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
Sema4 is committed to protecting your privacy. We employ a range of physical, technical and administrative safeguards to secure the personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) you entrust to us and protect it from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, corruption or destruction. We take reasonable measures to protect your Personal Information to prevent against unauthorized use, access, disclosure, and destruction. Your name and email address, along with other information that can be used to identify you, constitute your Personal Information. Please be aware that, despite our best efforts, security measures are not impenetrable, and we can’t guarantee against misuse.
- WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
If you choose to contact us through the Website, we’ll collect your contact information, such as your name and email address, postal address, or phone number so we can communicate with you. If you write a message, we will store the message so we can reference it to tailor our responses to you.
Website Visitor Data
Directly or through the use of third-party data analytics services (including Google Analytics), we collect visitor information, including your IP address and server log data (the address of the web page you visited before using the Website, your browser type and settings, the date and time of your use of the Website, language preferences). We may gather your information about the device you are using to access our Website, including what type of device it is, what operating system you are using, device settings, application IDs, location, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Other data is collected, including data generated by your use of the Website and links you interact with. Further information on how Google uses data collected by Google Analytics can be found at https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=en. Information about how to opt out of Google Analytics can be found at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
Account and Other Data
We may collect additional Personal Information that you voluntarily submit to us through the Website for other purposes, including information needed to open an account if you choose to do so. This information may include 1) user name and password; (2) name, email address, telephone number, home address, business address; (3) credit card and other payment information (4) personal interests or concerns; (4) registration information pertaining to an educational program or event; or (5) answers to an online form or survey.
When you register through our Patient Portal, we collect Personal Information such as your name, date of birth, billing and shipping address, and contact information. This information is combined with other Personal Information to give you access to your test results, and permit you to sign and view consent forms, view the progress status of your tests, schedule genetic counseling, and, if you join My Health, collect your health records from your healthcare providers.
If you are a health care provider registering for our Provider Portal, we collect your name, phone, address, and occupation as part of the registration process. Our Provider Portal is used for the storage and transmission of protected health information between us, health care providers and/or organizations using the Provider Portal to manage Sema4’s services, and their authorized representatives.
If you access and use the Sema4 Works application at your employer’s request, we collect information you submit to us about symptoms you may be experiencing, audio recordings and data related to your cough, and background health information and demographics data.
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- We use your Personal Information, including any information you share with us, to provide and improve our programs and services. We share this information with third-party service providers or Partners upon your request, or our service providers or Partners to the extent necessary to provide you with our Services.
- If you are a healthcare provider or patient, we use your Personal Information to contact you about research opportunities, clinical trials, or clinical treatments for you or your patients, as permitted by law and by your consent.
- If you choose to participate in research through Sema4 Works or another research project, we share your Personal Information for those research purposes as permitted and in compliance with applicable laws, and in accordance with your consent..
- If you use Sema4 Works, we share the information we collect with your employer, in accordance with your authorization.
- If you choose to join My Health through our Patient Portal, we use your Personal Information to provide you with health information in a readable format, to develop a health timeline and to provide the other services offered through My Health. We also create de-identified and aggregated data from your Personal Information and may use and disclose the de-identified data, as permitted by law and by your consent.
- We use your information to operate, manage, and improve our Website, and for marketing and administrative purposes.
- If you communicate with us, we may send you newsletters and marketing information, until you decide to opt out. We may also send you notifications, updates, and changes about our Website and contact you to provide customer service and support.
- We may use your information to comply with legal or regulatory requirements, to respond to lawful requests, court orders and legal process, to enforce our rights, to prevent fraud, to protect the security of the Website and for safety.
- We may use your IP address and location data to analyze usage, administer our Website, and gather demographic information for aggregate use.
- With your consent, we may use your Personal Information in other ways.
- HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
- SOCIAL MEDIA
- COOKIES AND OTHER TECHNOLOGIES
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your computer’s hard disk or on a website server. Cookies do not retrieve information stored on your hard drive and do not corrupt or damage your computer or computer files. For those using our Website, we may link cookie information to your email address to maintain and recall your preferences within the Website.
How to manage cookie preferences
Depending on their purpose, some cookies will only operate for the length of a single browsing session, while others have a longer life span to ensure that they fulfill their longer-term purposes. Your web browser can be set to allow you to control whether you will accept cookies or reject cookies, to notify you each time a cookie is sent to your browser, or to delete cookies that have already been set. If your browser is set to reject cookies, certain aspects of the Website that are cookie-enabled will not recognize you when you return to the Website, and some Website functionality may be lost. The “Help” section of your browser may tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting cookies. To find out more about cookies you may visit http://www.aboutcookies.org.
- OPT-IN /OPT-OUT OF COMMUNICATIONS
- YOUR CHOICE TO ACCESS, EDIT, OR DELETE INFORMATION
Our Website is not directed at nor intended for use by individuals under 13. If you learn that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Information without consent, please contact us. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with his or her Personal Information, we will promptly delete such data.
- BUSINESS TRANSITIONS
You may have implemented a “do-not-track” signal through your browser. As there currently is no fixed standard for do-not-track signals, we currently do not respond to do-not-track signals from your web browser.
- DATA RETENTION AND DESTRUCTION
- CONTACT US
333 Ludlow Street
North Tower, 8th floor
Stamford, CT 06902
Attn: Compliance Officer
When we operate as a “service provider” (as defined under the CCPA) for our customers and they provide us with your personal information for business purposes under a service contract, the CCPA applies primarily to those customers, not to us. In such cases, we will direct any requests you send us to exercise your rights under the CCPA to the applicable customer.
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT AS A BUSINESS
We collect the following categories of personal information as defined under the CCPA:
|Type of information||Examples||Collected by Us|
|Protected classifications under California or federal law||Age, race, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, health status||Yes|
|Commercial information||Records of personal property, products, services purchased or purchasing histories||No|
|Biometric information||Genetic, physical, behavioral or biological characteristics, such as fingerprints, iris scans, voiceprints, health/exercise or sleep data||Yes|
|Internet and similar network activity||Browsing history, website analytics, app interactions. See Section 2 and Section 6 of this Policy for details.||Yes|
|Geolocation data||Physical locations and/or movements||Yes|
|Sensory data||Audio, visual, or similar data related to physical characteristics||Yes|
|Professional or employment-related information||Current employment or job history||No|
|Non-public educational information||Educational records under federal law||No|
|Inferences drawn from other personal information||Profiling of preferences, personal characteristics, behavior, attitudes or aptitudes||No|
Personal information does not include: (i) information publicly available from government records, (ii) deidentified or aggregated information, or (iii) information addressed by certain state and federal data privacy laws (e.g., personal health information subject to federal health privacy law).
- CATEGORIES OF SOURCES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- OUR USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- OUR DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The CCPA gives certain rights to California residents regarding their personal information. We summarize below what those rights are and how you may exercise them. You do not need to have an account with us to exercise these rights.
The CCPA also gives California residents the right to opt out of (or for minors under 16, the ability to opt in to) sales of their personal information. However, we do not and will not sell your personal information. If, in the future, we decide to sell personal information, we will provide you with notice and the right to opt-out of (or for minors, opt-in to) such sales.
Right to Know About the Collection, Use, Disclosure and Sale of Personal Information
Upon providing us with a verified consumer request, you may ask us to disclose certain types of your personal information we have collected and used over the 12-month period prior to the date of your request. You may make this request only twice within any 12-month period. You may request:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you
- The categories of sources of the personal information we collected about you
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information
- The categories of third parties with whom we shared that information
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (except to the extent prohibited under CCPA including, for example, disclosure of Social Security numbers or other government, health insurance or medical identification numbers, account passwords)
- If we disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, a list identifying the personal information we disclosed to each category of recipient.
Right to Request Deletion of Personal Information
You have the right to submit a verified consumer request at any time that we delete any of your personal information collected and retained by us, unless an exception under the CCPA applies.
If no exception applies, and if we have been able to verify your consumer request, we will delete, aggregate or de-identify your personal information from our records in accordance with the CCPA. We will also direct third parties to whom we have disclosed your personal information to delete it, although we cannot guarantee that such third parties will comply with our direction.
Please note that we may deny your deletion request based on certain provisions of the CCPA, including where it is necessary for us or our service providers to carry out certain business functions, comply with laws or to engage in other internal and lawful uses of the information within the context in which you provided it to us.
- MAKING A VERIFIED CONSUMER REQUEST TO US
To make a request to exercise your rights under CCPA described above, please submit a verifiable request to us by either:
- Calling 1-844-SEMA4-34, or
- Completing and submitting the form available on our Websites at https://sema4.com/ccpa-contact-form/.
A verifiable consumer request must be made by you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State whom you have authorized to make the request on your behalf. (A representative must be authorized by you in writing or have a valid power of attorney under California probate law.) You may also make a verifiable request to us on behalf of your minor child.
To be considered a proper verified request, your request must:
(1) provide us with sufficient information allowing us to reasonably verify that you are the same person about whom we collected the personal information or the authorized representative, and
(2) describe your request in reasonable detail so we can correctly understand, evaluate and respond to the request.
We may ask you for additional information if needed in order to verify your request, but if we do, we will use such additional information only to verify your identity (or the authority of the representative) and for security and fraud-prevention purposes.
We will also ask you to separately confirm any request to delete personal information.
- RESPONDING TO YOUR VERIFIABLE CONSUMER REQUEST
We will use reasonable efforts to respond to your verifiable consumer request within 45 days of receiving it. If some cases, we may require more time (up to 90 days). If that is the case, we will communicate to you in writing (by postal mail or electronically, at your option) the reason and the length of anticipated delay. We will not be able to fulfill your request if we cannot verify your identity (or the authority of your representative) and confirm that the personal information subject to the request relates to you.
Disclosures we provide in response to a verified consumer request will cover only the 12-month period before we received the request. If your request involves the porting of your personal information, we will use a format that is reasonably designed to allow you to transmit the information to another entity. If we deny part or all of a verified consumer request, we will provide a reasonable explanation for the denial.
We do not charge fees for responding to verifiable consumer request unless they are excessive, repetitive or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that a fee is appropriate, we will provide you with an explanation and a cost estimate before we complete your request.
We will keep records of consumer requests and our responses as required under the CCPA.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights under the CCPA. This means that, except where permitted under the CCPA, if you make a request for disclosure or to delete your personal information, we will not (i) deny you goods or services, (ii) charge you different prices for goods or services (e.g., through penalties or withholding of otherwise available discounts), (iii) giving you a different level of goods or services, or (iv) suggesting to you that we will take any of the actions in (i) through (iii).
- HOW TO CONTACT US TO EXERCISE YOUR CALIFORNIA RIGHTS
333 Ludlow Street
North Tower, 8th floor
Stamford, CT 06902
Attn: Compliance Officer
This Supplement was last updated on June 3rd, 2020.