High Frequency Carrier Screen (11 Genes)
Related Gene(s): ACADM, CFTR, DHCR7, DMD, FMR1, HBA1, HBA2, HBB, PAH, PMM2, SMN1
The high frequency pan-ethnic panel provides carrier screening for the following genetic disorders due to the relatively elevated carrier frequencies and high detection rates in most ethnic groups with severe, early onset clinical presentation: Alpha-thalassemia, beta-thalassemia, beta-globin-related hemoglobinopathies: HbC variant, sickle cell disease, congenital disorder of glycosylation: type Ia, cystic fibrosis, Duchenne muscular dystrophy/Becker muscular dystrophy, fragile x syndrome, medium chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency, phenylalanine hydroxylase deficiency, Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome, and spinal muscular atrophy.
Although this testing can detect the majority of disease-causing pathogenic variants, a negative result does not eliminate the possibility that an individual is a carrier of a rare pathogenic variant that was not identified. Please refer to the residual risk table to determine the risk following a negative result.
For prenatal samples, please contact our laboratory at 800-298-6470 for more information.
- Blood: Two 5-10 mL EDTA tubes (lavender top), and either a third 5-10 mL EDTA tube or one 5-10 mL ACD tube (yellow top)
- Saliva: Saliva specimens are accepted in Oragene DNA (OG-500) kits by DNA Genotek. Please note that Tay Sachs enzyme analysis cannot be performed on saliva
- If carrier screening was previously performed through Sema4, reanalysis and/or test enhancements may be ordered without providing an additional specimen. Please contact the laboratory to determine if an additional specimen is required
- Ship at room temperature
- 14 days from receipt of specimen
- Expanded Carrier Screen (502 Genes)
- Expanded Carrier Screen (283 Genes)
- Expanded Carrier Screen (152 Genes)
- Expanded Carrier Screen (39 Genes)
- Comprehensive Jewish Carrier Screen (101 Genes)
- Ashkenazi Jewish Carrier Screen (64 Genes)
- Sephardi-Mizrahi Jewish Carrier Screen (54 Genes)
- Standard Carrier Screen (4 Genes)
Expanded Carrier Screen patient brochure
Expanded Carrier Screen provider brochure
Carrier screening test requisition
Prenatal test requisition, including carrier screening and Noninvasive Prenatal Select